Did you know that bariatric surgery has other health benefits than just helping you take off the weight? Generally, bariatric surgery has other health benefits, even though the primary benefit is helping you lose weight, especially if you are obese and other treatments are not effective in providing long-term success. However, before undergoing the procedure, your care provider must determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Therefore, if you qualify to undergo bariatric surgery, bariatric medicine Hackensack can help you learn additional benefits of this treatment before your appointment day.
Below are a few benefits of bariatric surgery.
- Long-term remission of type 2 diabetes. According to some studies, bariatric surgery causes long-term remission of type 2 diabetes. The procedure is said to be effective for patients who are obese and still have type 2 diabetes. Therefore, after the procedure, you can stop taking diabetes medicine in the first few months post-surgery. Losing weight also makes it easy to control your blood sugar levels.
- Improves your quality of life. Generally, when you lose a significant amount of weight, you begin noting changes in your ability to ambulate. You also find yourself being able to participate in and enjoy activities you used to love, such as swimming, walking, gardening, hiking, or biking. Doing so increases oxygen flow throughout the body due to increased physical activity. The activities also help you reduce insulin levels for effective sugar regulation, burn fats, thus preventing fat storage, and calm stress hormones such as cortisol thus relieving depression and anxiety. In most cases, as you become more engaged at work and make social connections, you might feel a new lease on life. Usually, you feel and look good, which improves your quality of life.
- Improves cardiovascular health. Losing excess weight also reduces your risk of developing cardiovascular conditions such as coronary artery disease, peripheral heart disease, and stroke. Bariatric surgery also helps prevent the risk of death associated with hypertension, stroke, and myocardial infarction. Cholesterol and blood pressure levels can return to near or normal after surgery, thus reducing these risks. Therefore, improving your cardiovascular health and overall well-being.
- Relief depression. Social stigma and poor body image are some concerns that make obese people depressed. Usually, even young people who carry excess weight find it challenging to participate in activities they might enjoy, leading to depression and social isolation. Therefore, losing excess weight improves your emotional health, thus decreasing depression.
- Provides joint pain relief. Usually, carrying excess weight, especially when you are obese, exerts a lot of pressure and stress on your weight-bearing joints, often causing joint damage and chronic pain. The sustained and significant weight loss after bariatric surgery reduces the stress on these joints, thus alleviating joint pain. As a result, most people stop using pain medications and enjoy moving.
The current medical development has made it possible to get rid of excess weight using surgery. Bariatric surgery is the treatment of choice when other weight loss methods are no longer effective in providing long-term success. Therefore, you can schedule your appointment at All Health Medical Group today if you are interested in undergoing bariatric surgery.